Try a recipe from Dinnertime Goodness by My Food Bag and Nadia Lim
Puy lentils retain a firm texture when cooked, and paired with feta and buttery pastry they make a great meal. If you are not a fan of pastry, serve with crusty bread instead.
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 25–30 minutes
Roasted beetroot, feta and Puy lentil galette
- ¾ cup Puy lentils
- 1 beetroot, peeled and diced 1cm
- pinch of standard flour (for dusting)
- 250g flaky puff pastry (store-bought sheets)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup mixed parsley and mint
- leaves (reserve a few for garnish)
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes
- 1 Lebanese cucumber (or ½ telegraph cucumber)
- ¼ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- juice of ½–1 lemon
- 100g feta, crumbled
- 1 cup natural unsweetened yoghurt
- pinch of lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- (e.g. wholegrain, Dijon)
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2–3 handfuls of rocket leaves
- 50g feta, crumbled
- reserved mint and parsley leaves
Preheat oven to 200°C. Bring a medium-sized pot of unsalted water to the boil. Line two oven trays with baking paper.
- Cook lentils in pot of boiling water for 25–30 minutes, until just tender but slightly firm to the bite, then drain. Rinse under cold water and drain well.
- Toss beetroot with a drizzle of olive oil on first tray and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20–25 minutes, until tender.
- While lentils and beetroot are cooking, prepare the rest of the meal. Lightly dust a clean, dry bench with flour and lay pastry sheets out. Cut pastry into 4–5 even rectangles and transfer to second tray.
- Brush pastry lightly with beaten egg and sprinkle over cumin and sesame seeds. Use a fork to prick pastry in several places. Cook on middle rack of oven for about 15 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- In a small bowl, mix together all garlic yoghurt ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the salad. Finely dice red onion; roughly chop herbs (reserving a few leaves to garnish); cut cherry tomatoes in half; roughly dice cucumber. Place all in a bowl with walnuts, lemon juice and feta. Drizzle with olive oil. Add cooked lentils and beetroot and season to taste. Gently toss to combine with about ¼ cup of the garlic yoghurt.
To serve, place a small handful of rocket on each plate with a piece of pastry. Using a spoon, gently press down on a corner of the pastry to form a slight hollow. Spoon lentil salad into the space, piling it up and allowing it to fall around pastry. Garnish with feta and reserved herbs. Dollop over remaining garlic yoghurt.
Toast walnuts in a small, dry fry-pan on medium heat for 1–2 minutes, until fragrant. Shake pan regularly to avoid burning.