We encourage you to join our vibrant community of readers to receive exclusive reader opportunities, enter competitions, receive advance news and invites to special events and generally to learn about the incredible books and authors that we have to offer.
When we say “we” or “us”, we mean Penguin Random House New Zealand Limited. When we say “Community”, we mean any of the platforms that we use on the Internet where users spend time and may contribute, including, without limitation, our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn®, Google+, YouTube, SoundCloud, Pinterest and Scribd pages.
All we require in return is that you respect other people and abide by these Community Guidelines.
We may at any time revise these Community Guidelines by updating this posting. Since you are bound by these Community Guidelines each time you visit our Community, you should periodically check these Community Guidelines.
Enjoy a fun, safe and vibrant community of readers and be nice to each other.
We Value Fairness and Fair Play
Our Community is not a venue for you to harass, defame, abuse, offend, impersonate or intimidate others. We expect our users to respect one another and the community as a whole. This respect should carry over into every area of interaction within our Communities. We support and encourage civil debate and conversation, and we recognise your right to disagree with another person but we also expect you to behave fairly and frame your opinions in a respectful and polite way. Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Likewise, comments designed to provoke hatred or incitements to commit violence are not acceptable. Don’t submit anything obscene, explicit or otherwise objectionable. Users who violate these rules may have their content removed from all of our Communities and risk having their website user account revoked. We reserve the right to reject or delete any content you submit for any reason.
It is important to remember that you are responsible for your interactions with other users. We reserve the right, but have no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other users.
If you see anything that you believe violates these rules or the spirit of our Community, please do us a favour and let us know immediately by sending an email to email@example.com. If applicable, please include in your email a link to any relevant content and your reasons for objecting to it.
We Encourage You to Write Reviews
Always keep in mind that you are reviewing the writing and not the writer when sharing your views. The purpose of the review system is to inspire, inform, enable and help other users to find the right book. To that end, try to keep in mind that the more constructive your critique is, the more useful it will be to other people.
Content posted by users on our Community reflects the opinions and experience of those users, and not us.
The following are some guidelines when posting any material on our Community.
You must NOT at any time on our Community:
- Post any reviews, comments, content or photos that don't belong to you or in respect of which you do not have the permission of the copyright owner to post. Copyright infringement is serious to us and our authors and illustrators.
- Post content that includes a photograph or image of another person that has been submitted without that person’s consent.
- Use vulgar language in your comments or reviews.
- Post content that is obscene, pornographic, abusive, or harassing/threatening in nature, content that contains nudity, violence or offensive subject matter or a link to an adult website, or content that exploits people in a sexual or violent manner.
- Post content that incites someone to violence or to commit a criminal act or depicts, alludes to or promotes illegal behaviour or any criminal activity or enterprise.
- Post content that is patently offensive or promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual.
- Post content that solicits funds or services, including, without limitation, content that involves commercial activities and/or sales without our prior written consent such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising or pyramid schemes.
- Post content that solicits personal information from another person, content that provides personal information of another person or content that violates someone’s privacy. Personal information may include, without limitation, telephone numbers, street addresses, dates of birth, photographs, email addresses, names or personal banking information.
- Post content that contains viruses or malware, such as Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, easter eggs or other computer programming routines that may damage, modify, delete, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, access without authority or expropriate any system, data or personal information.
- Impersonate anyone or hide behind handles.
- Post content that libels or defames another person.
- Spam. Do not create misleading descriptions, tags, titles or thumbnails in order to increase views. It's not okay to post large amounts of untargeted, unwanted or repetitive content, including comments and private messages. This includes the transmission of ‘junk mail’ or ‘chain letters’, or unsolicited mass mailing, instant messaging or ‘spamming’.
- Post excessively long comments or reviews. Comments or reviews longer than 250 words may not be allowed.
- Post comments or reviews anonymously. Comments or reviews posted anonymously may be removed immediately.
- Post content that has been used in previous marketing materials or promotions for any third party or where any third party has been granted use of that content for any purpose whatsoever, including commercial purposes.
- Post content that does not strictly comply with any of our competition or contest requirements.
If your comment, review or contribution on our Community gets flagged as inappropriate, we will review the comment, review or contribution to determine whether it violates these Community Guidelines. If after our review we remove your comment, review or contribution, you can assume that we deemed it to be a breach of these Community Guidelines. We are under no obligation to notify you if your comment, review or contribution on our Community has been removed in accordance with these Community Guidelines.
We encourage our users to contribute to our Community; however, content that is in breach of these Community Guidelines may be removed from our Community immediately.
Upload Original Content Only
Respect the copyright of others. Only upload content you made or are permitted to use. This means no photos, images, literature or any other stuff you’ve found which you did not create or do not have the permission to use. Remember that just because content is freely viewed (for example, on the Internet), this does not automatically mean that it can be freely used.
We ask that users protect not only their own privacy online, but the privacy of fellow users as well. This means that you shouldn’t post anyone’s personal information on any of our Communities. No names, dates of birth, photographs, phone numbers, addresses, email addresses or anything else that isn’t yours to share. Additionally, don’t distribute any user comment or content or post it in other online venues without that user’s permission.
User Safety is a Priority
We take user safety very seriously at Penguin Random House New Zealand. If you feel that another user is exhibiting predatory behaviour toward you or another user, including, without limitation, stalking, threats, harassment, or intimidation or otherwise not acting in the spirit of our Community, please notify us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicable, please include in your email a link to any relevant content and your reasons for objecting to it.
You can email us at email@example.com with feedback, questions or issues.
We will do our best to help you with the information or assistance you are seeking.
Last updated on: 15 February 2016